Don’t feel bad if you haven’t won Free Money on the :05s yet. You’ve got options!
There’s a place in Chicagoland where $25,425.75 was left last year. No, it wasn’t a donation – at least not intentionally. In fact, it’s doubtful anyone even realized they left money there at all!
Where is this pot of gold?
O’Hare International Airport!
According to the TSA, that’s the amount of money left behind at our security checkpoints in 2016. Would you believe O’Hare only came in 6th? That means there was even more money at five other airports!
Here’s the Top 10:
- John F. Kennedy International Airport ($70,615.00)
- Los Angeles International Airport ($44,811.84)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport ($42,305.26)
- McCarran International Airport ($32,671.38)
- LaGuardia Airport ($27,963.46)
- O’Hare International Airport ($25,425.75)
- San Francisco International Airport ($24,711.34)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport ($23,723.25)
- Logan International Airport ($23,691.83)
- Washington Dulles International Airport ($20,801.25)
Grand total of all US airports? $867,812.39. Mind you, that’s all in loose change! Whoa.
I mentioned donations earlier. While unintentional, that’s exactly what this money becomes…thanks to the TSA Loose Change Act.