Rumor becomes reality tonight (6/28/2017) at 9pm as Powerball ticket sales will be suspended in Illinois. Mega Millions will follow suit Friday (6/30/2017) at 9:45pm.
There’s no state budget! That means there’s no way to pay the big jackpot winners.
Actually, even the medium jackpots are iffy. According to Illinois Lottery officials, any payment over $25,000 will be delayed.
Things to know:
- All Powerball & Mega Millions tickets purchased before their respective deadlines are valid.
- All active subscriptions will be cancelled after the last draws. Refunds will be issued to players for the remaining length of their subscriptions.
- Once a Fiscal Year 2018 Illinois Lottery appropriation is passed, they will determine a potential return. No timeline is guaranteed.
- Valid claims of $25,000 or less will continue to be paid at any of the five Lottery Prize Centers in Chicago, Des Plaines, Fairview Heights, Rockford and Springfield.
- Prizes $600 or less will continue to be paid at any of the Illinois Lottery’s nearly 8,000 retail partners.