It’s one of the great stage names in rock — [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Joe Strummer[/lastfm]. The man to which it was attached led a fascinating life.
At the end of the year, many radio stations run a countdown show featuring the top songs of the year. Let’s spend a few Rock Flashback posts at the end of this year looking at […]
In the summer of 1970, film director Monte Hellman saw a Los Angeles billboard with [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]James Taylor[/lastfm]‘s face on it, and he believed he’d found a star. After the jump, read about Taylor’s road […]
In the summer of 1971, George Harrison and Ravi Shankar organized the Concert for Bangla Desh to benefit refugees in the newly-independent country of Bangla Desh (formerly East Pakistan), which was ravaged by war and […]
Earlier this month, we mentioned The [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Jethro Tull[/lastfm] Christmas Album and how well the band’s folk-inflected style lends itself to holiday music. Find out about another holiday album that’s a perfect match for the band […]
In those first white-hot years after “Heartbreak Hotel,” guardians of American virtue passionately hated [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Elvis Presley[/lastfm] for corrupting the youth of America and threatening All We Hold Dear. In 1957, Elvis committed the greatest blasphemy […]
Christmas 1963 was a somber season in America. The recent assassination of President Kennedy cast a pall that lasted for months. Nevertheless, some of the most enduring pop Christmas music was first heard that year. […]
By 1966, [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Booker T. and the MG’s[/lastfm] were well-established as one of the greatest groups in history, laying down the groove for superstar acts at Stax Records in Memphis and scoring hits on their own. […]
Perhaps we could have seen what was coming from the album’s very first song, “Changes”: how [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]David Bowie[/lastfm] would reinvent himself repeatedly, taking on new personas and then discarding them. Hunky Dory, released 40 years […]
Forty years ago this month, a new band from Britain released its first album. The album’s release in the States led to one of the most hilarious misunderstandings in rock history.
- Dave Fogel has some news on the possibility of 70 MPH on Illinois' roads! cbsloc.al/13PEP5R 12 minutes ago
- The verdict is in! Was Trump Trumped by a little old lady? cbsloc.al/12AVhUT 42 minutes ago
- What will and wont the CTA charge a fee for the their Ventra cards? Find out here... cbsloc.al/12APQ8u 1 hour ago
- Check out this story about cavemen & women...maybe they were smarter than we thought they were! cbsloc.al/12ALn5v 2 hours ago
- U can now get UR Chicago city sticker any time of the yr! @Listen 2 the details here: cbsloc.al/14GD4aF 2 hours ago
- Prince Killing It At The... Promise Walk in Schaumburg Think Pink- Vintage Lounge in... Bloomingfest in West Chicago
- Mooseheart Bike Blessing in... Maxwell Street Vendor Fair in... Crush for Cancer 5.17.13 Mayfest in Chicago
- 5.15.13 - Employee Fitness... Antique Market in Grayslake Race to Wrigley 5K in Chicago Together Forever 5K in Park...
- Worst Rock & Roll Fan... Photos: Sloth Bear Cubs At... ABBA Museum Opens In Sweden Run for Your Life 5K in...
- Win The 30th Anniversary Edition Of National Lampoon’s Vacation
- Win A Six Flags Great America Season Pass
- Win A Free Tablet Device!
- Enter Now For Your Chance To Win Free Tickets To See Styx
- Win Free Tickets To See Bill Burr At The Chicago Theatre
- Listen For Your Chance To Win A Sandals Resorts Luxury® Included Vacation!
- Win Tickets To See Rod Stewart
- Win ‘Side Effects’ Starring Channing Tatum On DVD
- Win Tickets To See The Eagles At United Center
- Free Money On The Fives Is Your Chance For $50K At The End Of May!